Good Market vendors join the nation in mourning the passing of Pandit Amaradeva. The Saturday Good Market will be open from 10 to 6 at the Colombo Racecourse and in Galle Fort, but the entertainment lineup has been changed. Pandit Amaradeva’s music will be played at low volumes throughout the day. Visitors and vendors are welcome to use the microphone to share what his music has meant to you.
Image credit: Lalith Rathnayake
GALLE GOOD MARKET
The Galle Good Market is open every Saturday from 10 am to 6 pm (rain or shine!) in Court Square, Galle Fort.
* Ceylon Tafel is introducing hot cinnamon and ginger tea, fresh tropical fruit juice, ice-cold popsicles, village style rice and curry, roti, kiribath, manioc, sweet potato cutlets and more in Stall D1.
* Nidahasa is introducing a new collection of upcycled sari bed covers and frocks. Stop by Stall B2 to learn more about how this social enterprise is benefitting southern women.
* Rainforest Foods has certified organic tea, spices, moringa powder, garcinia powder, mangosteen powder, and pure kithul syrup and jaggery in Stall D2.
* Lion Kithul is adding wooden spoons, file holders and drying racks to their range of all natural kithul wood and coconut wood housewares. Visit Stall B3 to place an order for a custom design.
* FriendzHome in Stall D1 has quality second-hand clothing, jewelry, toys, housewares, books and more at great prices. Have things at home that you aren’t using? Bring them to Friends Home and they’ll sell them for you. 25% of sales go to support a child with special needs. Call Kumudu at 0774301399 to learn more.
* You can find Good Market products from other regions in Stall C3 and C4 including upcountry organic vegetables, vegan coconut milk drink, cacao, natural snacks and much more. See something you like in the Good Market shop promotions? Call the shop team at 0773772122 and ask them to bring it down to Galle.
COLOMBO GOOD MARKET
The Colombo Good Market is open every Saturday from 10 am to 6 pm (rain or shine!) in the Nuga Tree Car Park at the Colombo Racecourse.
* New vendor Composites came out of a partnership between Sri Lankan and Australian universities. They help develop designs for community-based waste recycling businesses. They’ll be under the nuga tree this Saturday to get your feedback a new range of wallets, clutches, placemats, coasters, notebooks and light fixtures made from recycled plastic, fabric, and banana fiber.
* New vendor House of Hope is launching Game On this week. Stop by Stall E5 to play carnival games and video games and raise funds for children with chronic diseases, disabilities or special medical requirements.
* New vendor Out of the Box has creative housewares, clothing, artwork and more handmade from recycled materials and factory off-cuts. Don’t miss Stall B9
* Katupotha Organic Estate will have fresh organic certified coconuts from their farm in Kurunegala. You can find them in Stall E4.
* Saaraketha is offering a 10% discount on organic certified butternut squash in Stall F4 at the Colombo Good Market.
* Selyn Fair Trade has a great range of fair trade handloom products for kids in Stall C7: finger puppets, pencil toppers, soft toys and more.
* Tash focuses on responsibly sourced local gemstones and handmade silver jewelry. Choose a gemstone and design your own custom piece. Check out their birthstone collection in Stall E3 this week.
* Crepes Parlour is introducing two drinks in Stall C6: Strawberry Limeade and Carrot Orange Juice. Organic ingredients are sourced from Sunrise Organic Farm and Saaraketha. Goes great with their savory and sweet kurakkan crepes!
* Organico Guru is offering a special 20% discount on Douglas Park organic certified apple juice and orange juice in Stall D6 this week.
* Anyaa Wellness has all natural spa products and massage therapy in Stall C1. A 15-minute massage by a visually impaired therapist is Rs. 500.
* Secret Garden has a new collection of cacti, aloe, and other succulents. Visit them in Stall B2, and add a little life to your home or office.
* Deen the Bookman has a new selection of second-hand cookbooks, novels, children’s books, rare books, and collectibles in Stall A1.
* Yummy Goodness is offering a 10% discount on their popular narang marmalade. Check out their full range of slow-cooked jams, marmalades and chutneys including their new mixed cherry jam in Stall F4 at the Saturday Good Market or in the Good Market shop.
* Dr PPARs has Chlorella sorokiniana microalgae tablets in Stall A6 that boost the immune system, lower cholesterol and blood sugar, and support detoxification. Great nutritional supplement for vegetarians and the elderly.
* Henna Booth will be applying natural henna mehendi designs in Stall B9.
* Trained blind therapists from Thusare Talking Hands will be providing head, neck, shoulder, and foot massages in Stall B10.
GOOD MARKET SHOP
The Good Market organic and natural food shop is open every day across the street from the Colombo Saturday Good Market at the Racecourse. The shop operates as a not-for-profit social enterprise and has products from more than 70 Good Market approved vendors. New deliveries for this Saturday include:
* Banana Blossom Mushroom Sambol, Beetroot Chutney, and Prawnilicious from ManiEli
* Organic certified mixed lettuce and baby spinach from Nature Farms
* Organic PGS salad leaves and rocket (arugula) from Uva Forest Gardens
* Free range eggs from Malpotha Farms and Via Village
* Organic cacao coconut, cinnamon coconut, ginger coconut and pineapple coconut spreads from Greenfield Organic Life (back in stock!)
* Mango and strawberry yogurt drinks from Frutty Fro Yo
* Thalaguli sesame sweets, kithul syrup, kithul jaggery and kithul flour from Haritha Lanka Kithul
* Ready to eat organic pumpkin soup, garlic gotukola soup, and mango mustard soup from Ma’s Food Organic Happy Home line.
* Organic certified coconut butter and virgin coconut oil from Coconut Miracle
* Natural cocoa butter, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds and quinoa from What On Earth
* Organic fruit & nut, banana, pineapple and cacao snack bars from Greenfield Organic Life
* Organic certified rigatoni and kurakkan rigatoni from Ma’s Foods Organic Pasta Roma line
* Pure vanilla extract, vanilla paste, vanilla pods and vanilla coconut vinegar from Ceylon Vanilla Company
* Smooth Ceylon, Intense Espresso, and Indulgence coffee roasts from Soul Coffee
* Organic certified brown sugar from Ma's Food Organic
* All natural liquid dish soap, laundry powder, hair oil, essential oils and odor absorbers from Moonshadow