As a social enterprise, Good Market is committed to monitoring and maximizing impact. At the end of the financial year, the team reviews finances and impact and prepares plans for the upcoming year.
The weekly event in Galle has been popular with tourists, but the impact on vendors and local consumers is low compared to the time and resources required. If these resources are reallocated, Good Market can expand services to vendors and consumers in all parts of Sri Lanka.
For these reasons, the plan is to stop the weekly Good Market event in Galle and focus time and energy on the following services:
- Outreach to small-scale farmers, social enterprises, and responsible businesses in all regions
- Workshops and training programs to help approved Good Market vendors access new market opportunities and sell through online channels
- Local language consumer awareness programs and local media outreach
- One-day Good Market Festival events in different regions
- Support to existing marketplaces to incorporate Good Market standards or develop sections for Good Market approved vendors
- Buy Social programs to help government, embassies, international agencies, and companies source products and services from Good Market approved vendors
- Participatory guarantee system (PGS) services for organic farmers.
We expect that these services will ultimately have a greater impact for the current Galle vendors than the weekly events. The majority of them have products with a national and international demand, but very little local demand. We are already talking with them to plan workshops and future events. A few Galle vendors are interested in continuing with weekly events. For more info, contact Kumudu at 0774 301 399.
If you would like to have a workshop or Good Market festival event in your region, contact Naduni at 0770 208 642 or email@example.com
The Colombo Good Market is open Saturdays from 10 am to 6 pm (rain or shine!) in the Nuga Tree Car Park at the Colombo Racecourse. The stall layout is online here.
10am to 12pm: Morning chillout music by Izuru
12pm to 3pm: R&B and classical music by Senses
3pm - 4pm: Live music by Jayanga
4pm to 6pm: Community open mic
- 4R Paper Products joins Good Market with their handmade paper products made from invasive weeds and agricultural waste. Drop by their stall, ask them what 4R stands for and learn more about their efforts to reforest land using native flora to create hospitable habitats for native wildlife.
- Sea Long Foods brings chickenthiyal and ambulthiyal in clay pots.
- Stop by the ECO-V stall to learn about the dangers of nonstick cookware. You can also pick up a healthy lifestyle booklets, herbal and flowering plants and wormy wash liquid manure in addition to their usual range of biodegradable, plant based alternatives to plastic cups, plates and boxes.
- Secret Garden is collaborating with Koularagama Ceramics to house their cacti, dyckias and succulents.
- Yummy Goodness has a range of slow cooked jam, marmalade and chutneys made only from local, sustainably sourced ingredients. This week's special is Star Passion Jam.
- 10% off organic radish from Saaraketha Organics.
- Secret Garden has vibrant aloe hybrids, cacti and succulents to add a splash of nature into your home.
- Organico Guru is offering 20% off on BPA free diced tomatoes and organic peeled tomato cans.
- Dr. PPARs has whole food supplements made from microalgae (Chlorella sorokiniana) and grape extract.
- SOZO is debuting a new beverage, Island King this week.
You can also get a massage and find vendors with all-natural body care products, ethical clothing and shoes, responsibly sourced gem and silver jewellery, hand-crafted accessories, toys and arts and crafts, linens, fresh organic fruits and vegetables, all-natural spices, fresh juices and local pickles, ready-to-eat food for dine-in and take-away and more.
The Good Market organic and natural food shop is located across the street from the Colombo Saturday Good Market at the Racecourse and will be closed April 13-14th for the Sinhala and Tamil new year. The shop will reopen on April 15th. The shop operates as a not-for-profit social enterprise and has products from more than 70 Good Market approved vendors.
- Aurelia Soapworks has a new activated charcoal face mask on the shelves. With just 2 ingredients this mask comes in cute sachets. Just mix with water apply, let set and peel off to remove blackheads and whiteheads for clear skin.
- Organic potato chips and corn chips, prunes and mixed quinoa from Organico Guru
- White chia seeds from What on Earth.
- Mixed salad from Lanka Salad Company
- Rankahawnau, madathawalu, suwandel and pachchuperumal heirloom rice varieties from Bio Foods